Thursday, January 29, 2009

Yukky Colonoscopee comparisions

Well the time came for me to go get that famous camera forced up the wrong way job!   The city had found a bit of blood in my last poop test and so I had to go the inspection route.  First I went to our local specialized clinic.  He gave me an appointment and instuctions to eat no bean products and nothing after 8 p.m. the day before.  Then that night to take a medicine and next morning to put a package powdery stuff in 2 liters of water and drink (which would result in large scale pooping)before 11 and come into the office by noon.  Well, then in the office they gave me a shot and soon the long cord with the camera was inserted.  Actually I can't say there was any pain.  However the result was that he found some polyp that he couldn't take out in his clinic so refered me to go to another large hospital for this treatment.  Right after his treatment the nurse took me to a lovely resting room with a comfortable reclining chair and put a blanket over me and told me to rest for one hour, after which I felt fine and could go home.  The Chiba University Hospital where I then went looked at his photos and decided they had to do their own.  So the process was repeated but not so nicely.  They made me buy the day before the camera meal box.  You can see it below.  It was divided into 4 boxes with food for 4 meals.  The breakfast was absolutely ghastly...wet rice with very strong fish flavor and miso soup.  I just gave it to the cat.  Lunch time was another wet rice but that was passable with a soy sauce flavor.  Dinner was a corn soup which was also okay and only the snack was kind of good...chocolate cookie and orange juice.  Next morning I had to be in the hospital where I was ushered into a waiting room with hard chairs and one tv with about 15 other victims.  We were each given a 2 liter jug and a paper cup and told to down it before 11.  This stuff  so tasted so much worse than the private clinics.  Managed to get it down and then had another long wait in turn to get into the curtained off section where the camera would be inserted.  The biggest difference in treatment was when the procedure was finished.  Instead of a nice hour in a reclining soft chair, I was given my papers and told to go down and pay and go home!  My stomache(rather guts) was churning from the air they had pumped in and nerves were shot.  But with me being in no danger of death, they wanted me out.  After waiting to pay and then the bus and train ride home, I was only fit to lie down and complain to my husband that NO WAY was I going to do anything for a couple of hours.  After an hour or two I was back to normal.  I asked my doctor son about the difference in treatment and he said that a private clinic has to treat you so kindly or they will lose you to another clinic and go bankrupt, where a University Hospital has too many patients anyway and could care less if you chose them or not. Besides when the procedure gets complicated you must go there! 

 This Thursday I went in for the results of their photos (that doctor is very nice and kind but so busy) and he said it looks like they can remove the polyps with the scope treatment but if not they will do it by surgery and I would need to be in the hospital about a week.  However since there are so many much more serious cases than mine, I will just be on the waiting list and they will call and tell me when to check in.  The check-in nurse gave us a bunch of pamplets (of course all in Japanese) for my husband to read and tell me about their rules.  Several years ago I was in that hospital for over a week and really enjoyed it.  This time?  Well, after it is all over I'll post again!

4 comments:

象さん said...

Hello Vicki!
Hope your are fixed up soon, let us know if we can do anything to help?
I like this new blog, I started one here too for the same reasons!
I like the onsen pics, you look great!
Jodie

象さん said...

oops spelled your name wrong and everything.
Sorry Viki.

Sue said...

Hi there! I just found your blog, and enjoyed seeing your adorable grandbaby. I am sorry about your little polyp problem. I hope you can get that taken care of quickly and painlessly!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki! Everything will work out, you are a very STRONG and willed woman = ) did hubs give you a foot rub..?