Thursday, November 27, 2008

Steps to make a quilt

Here you can see the trouble I had getting this huge kotatsu quilt stretched out on my small frames!  The size was 7 and 1/2 feet square.  I had to cut a bamboo pole to use on two ends as my frames weren't that long.  Then the bamboo poles would twist and it was hard to get them under the clamps.  Finally after getting the base stretched and sewed on I put on the filling.  I used only a single layer which cost over 10 dollars for just the filling.
The four corners were held up all differently.  2 were put into the bookshelves and the outside 2  were put on a color box and the old empty tv case.  Then I had to get a ladder to hold up the one side that wouldn't stay in the bookcase, so it was quite a chore.
Here the top pieced layer is put on.  That needed to be pinned down first and then stitched.  In the second photo above you can see the 100 yen thread I bought for stitching it.  While stiching below, a terrible thing happened.  The one old bamboo pole broke and I had to take it out and take the two shorter frames and clamp them together to get it long enough to substitute it for the bamboo pole!  Finally it was okay and I finished.  Tomorrow I'll show you the end result.

No comments: