Monday, January 14, 2008


Here is the casualty of the trip.  On the first day of skiing DH was trying to clean off the bottom of my boot before I stepped into the bindings.  Off fell the rubber pad from the heal part of my boot  But the boot fit fine in the ski and I skied like that all three days, until the last day when we stopped for lunch and I stepped out of my bindings, my boot fell apart!  I didn't want to rent a boot for the last few hours of skiing so I sat in the lodge.  Another of our members quite about an hour later and since she had same size foot I put on her boots and used her skis and pools since DH had taken mine to the car already.  I wanted to try her short carving skis.  My longer semi carving skis I just loved as well as my lovely warm Solomon Ski boots.  Well coming down the hill with her carving skis was quite a shock to me as they kept chattering and I had a terrible time keeping control.  When I got to the bottom I asked my diving teacher (best skier with us) why the great difference.  He laughed and said my style of skiing is the old fashioned way of parallel skiing with both skis tight together and slipping the tails around and that doesn't work with the new carving skis that are made for edge turning without slipping.  That made sense to me and also made me realize I will stick with my old fashioned parallel.  I'm glad my boot went home in pieces instead of me!  I went to the ski shop to see if the Solomon company offers any lifetime warranty and he laughed and said only 5 years and my boots were obviously closer to 20!

No comments: