Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Church wedding

Notice how the Japanese are now requesting Christian weddings? Doesn't have be in a church.  It just has to look like a church.  The preacher doesn't have to be an ordained major denomination pastor, he just has to look right.  I think most are quite good Christians and give good Christian values in their messages.  This pastor according to DH spoke in both English and Japanese.  I don't know why he bothered with English as no one except DH could understand it and he can understand Japanese.  Probably the biggest attraction of the Christian wedding is the chance to have photos in a gorgeous dress and beautiful formal setting. The traditional Japanese wedding kimono takes hours of preparation and layers of makeup that I understand are quite uncomfortable.  Also all guests can attend the chapel wedding, where the traditional Japanese wedding ceremony is very limited in space.  

1 comment:

sampler said...

I read your post with interest -- especially as you are a Bible believing Christian. Me too. I am researching Japanese Christian-style weddings and I'm starting to question the Western stereotype which is often being served up in Japan. I hope the best for all the 'happy couples' who have chapel weddings but I am concerned that the perception that Christianity is a foreign religion is being perpetuated by this type of form. Any thoughts?