Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oyabaka

     Oyabaka is Japanese expression for a mother who is bragging about her kids.  In their culture it is not polite to show off your wonderful kids/grandkids as that might make other people jealous.  So instead they talk negative about their family even though in their heart they are so proud.  Their family understands this and don't mind being called ugly, fat, stupid because they know their Mom really is meaning the opposite.  However I am AMERICAN and we tell it like it is!  Above my son is sleeping with his precious little one week old daughter...my first grandchild. 
    Once my English students asked me how to say Oyabaka in American English.  I thought and finally said, "We don't have such an expression in English because we think a person who is always bragging about her children (even if they are bad) is a GOOD mother.  We have the expression "A face that Only a Mother could love." and that means no matter how ungly,bad our kids are to us they are beautiful/wonderful/good!"   
    I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful family.  Thanks to SKYPE I can give my new granddaughter cyber hugs.

2 comments:

Houdini said...

How cute! They have the same sleeping face!

Viki in Chiba said...

Yes, I think so too. I keep checking your blog for updates on your precious little boy. Maybe someday we can get the two together???