Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Funeral part

The buddist priest comes in in his royal robes, sits on a little stool infront of the little temple and her photo and starts his sing-song chant with an occasional hitting of a gong and a gourd.  Then sometimes he takes a wig like broom and waves it back and forth.  Even the Japanese say they don't understand what he is saying.  I could catch a few words but had no idea even their meanings.  Toward the end of his chanting, first the family and then the guests come up and take 3 pinches of incense and bring it up to like smell it(but I was told you are not supposed to smell it).  Then the incense is put over in another box.  

1 comment:

Lulu said...

My name is Melissa and I happen to come across your blog while researching Buddist Funerals in Japan. I am working on this project for my world religions class at college, and my major is Mortuary Science. Looks like you have had a great time overseas. And the info about the funeral is very interesting. Hope you don't mind if I use some of your facts and experiences for my project.