Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cousin visits

When my cousin's daughter, her husband and 4 year old son came to Japan, we met them in Kamakura with our son Andy and visited the big buddha.  This is the oldest big buddha statue in Japan.  Nara has a bigger one but not an older one.  Above is the inside--absolutely nothing but only cost 20 cents to enter!  I came to the giant buddha 34 years ago before meeting my husband.  I remembered it as being so huge and magnificent.  Seeing it again I was surprised at how it had shrunk!  My memory had it about 10 times larger!
Andy stops in front of the buddha and below they do the ceremonial hand washing.

Poor little legs were just not up to the long walk from the parking lot to the temples.  Dear old dad gave him a lift.  He was happy to get back in the van and ride.

No comments: